Salt: The Misconception with a Twist
Ever since I was a small child, I have been hearing how terrible salt is for us, especially if you come from a family with a tendency towards high blood pressure. Since that description is true for about 33% of the American population, perhaps you, like me, fall into this category. After all, heart disease is still the #1 killer in the U.S. and has been for more than half a century.
The truth is that regular table salt that is in most of our households, restaurants and processed foods IS bad for us. But that is not to say that ALL salt is bad. So here are a few truths:
1. All salt comes from the sea, so a salt that advertises itself as “Sea Salt” is not really making a special claim. It’s just marketing.
2. Salt in its natural state will have a color to it. The most prevalent mineral will determine what color that is.
3. A salt that is white is a salt that has been bleached. If it’s been bleached, other processing has also taken place (like sugar being added). You can bet that the nutritional value of this salt is non-existent.
Ok, so WHY salt at all?
Well, for most of you reading this…you live in Florida, where it is hot and chances are pretty good that if you enjoy the outdoors even a little, you are perspiring (or sweating) at least to some degree. This means that all those good minerals that you are eating or supplementing with are leaving your body by way of your skin. Plus, the more water you drink (in order to stay hydrated), are also flushing out those good minerals. Gatorade is not your best solution. You need SALT.
Above are salt samples with the range of colors you can find it in. The color is determined by the dominant mineral it contains.
Celtic Sea Salt and Himalayan Crystal Salt are both good choices. They are rich in minerals which have numerous health benefits. The Himalayan Crystal Salt contains the same 84 minerals and elements that the human body has and it is easily digested and metabolized.
Here are just a few of the health benefits of these salts:
1. Promotes stable pH balance in cells, including in brain cells
2. Encourages excellent blood sugar health.
3. Keeps blood flowing smoothly through blood vessels.
4. Supports healthy lung function.
5. Increases bone strength.
6. Promotes healthy sleeping patterns
Just to name a few.
So, I want to encourage you to get yourself some good quality salt and enjoy.
You will be doing your health a lot of good.